Thursday, January 28, 2010

This nation is affluent and has more than it needs. The realization that what we have is a free gift can deepen our desire to share this gift with others who cry out for help. When we bless the fruits of the harvest, let us at least realize that blessed fruits need to be shared.
- Henri J.M. Nouwen, from his book The Genesee Diary

Dear NEO family,

I feel kind of like a kid who has been told that Christmas has been postponed! We have been planning and praying for months for our Spiritual Renewal Weekend with Susie Shellenberger. Anticipation has been building. Unfortunately, the weather is not cooperating. This morning I have been doing a "Best/Worst Analysis". What is the best that can happen if we go ahead with our plans this weekend? What is the best that can happen if we postpone it? What is the worst that can happen if we go ahead or postpone? In doing so, it seems like a no brainer to postpone our District Spiritual Renwal services and events (youth, ladies and primetimers) for this weekend and reschedule them for March 5 - 7. Susie and our facilities are available that weekend. Let's just adjust our plans and expect God to work in the change for the good of his people who love Him!

You are invited to attend the annual Forever. For Real. program. Whether dating, engaged or married for years, this event is for you! More than 200,000 Oklahomans have already experienced an Oklahoma Marriage Initiative program, and we invite you to set aside time during the Valentine’s season to focus on your own relationship. This is a free workshop designed to help couples like you strengthen your relationship. Through this one-day event you can learn simple, hands-on, fun ways to improve communication and enhance fun and friendship. We will offer the program at multiple sites so that you may participate in a location close to you. Come be a part of this statewide event!

College and Career Retreat: A college and career retreat has been in the works for a long time. We are proud to offer this event for all of the college students and young adults connected to the NEO District. The event takes place on 2/19-21 at Cave Springs Camp Ground in Quapaw, OK.

Although our weekend activities are canceled, you can use the following section from the Wesley Coventant Renewal Service to renew your own relationship with Christ:

I throw myself upon Your grace and mercy. I cast myself upon Your blood. I trust your saving death alone to save me. I have nowhere else to go, so here I will stay. I’m trusting You ... resting in You ... risking everything on You. On You I’m placing my hope for pardon ... for life ... for salvation. If I perish, I perish on your shoulders. If I sink, I sink in your vessel. If I die, I die at your door. Don’t ask me to go away, for I will not go.

Leader: In the first covenant, God chose Israel to be a special people and to obey the Law. Our Lord Jesus Christ, by his death and resurrection, has made a new covenant with all who trust in him, and we stand within this covenant and bear Christ’s name. God’s part of the covenant is to keep his promises to give us new life in Christ. Our part of the covenant is to live, not for ourselves, but for God.
So, friends, let us claim the covenant God has made with his people as our own this morning. Let us give ourselves unreservedly to the Lord.

Leader and People: I am Yours, O God; I reverence You. I dedicate myself to Your service.

Leader: In giving yourselves to the Lord, you are affirming that you will be content with whatever it is He asks you to do.
Let us allow Christ to guide all that we do and are this coming year. Christ has many ways for us to serve him. Some will be easy, others will be difficult. Some will receive applause; others will bring only reproach. Confessing Christ and His name is never easy when it costs us shame and ridicule. It is never easy to sail against the wind, swim against the tide, or surrender our rights and privileges because Jesus Christ is our Lord. See what it is that Christ expects and then give yourselves totally to His will, without bargaining and without reservation. Do not think of making your own terms with Christ, for that will never be allowed. Rather, trust Christ to strengthen you and give you the power to do all these things.
Therefore let us make this covenant with God this morning. Let us give ourselves completely to Him, trusting in His promises and relying on His grace. Join me now in praying . . .

Leader and People: Lord Jesus, if you will welcome me into Your house and own me as Your servant, I will not insist upon conditions. Impose on me whatever terms You wish, and direct me in any way You deem appropriate. Assign me to my proper place in Your creation
Make me what You wish, set me wherever You want, and rank me wherever You choose. Put me to doing; put me to suffering. Let me be employed for You or laid aside for You. Give me many tasks, or have me step aside while you call others. Let me be full; let me be empty. Let me have all things; let me have nothing. I freely give all that I am and all that I have to you.

Hymn: I Surrender All


Lord Jesus, if you will welcome me into Your house and own me as Your servant, I will not insist upon conditions. Impose on me whatever terms You wish, and direct me in any way You deem appropriate. Assign me to my proper place in Your creation
Make me what You wish, set me wherever You want, and rank me wherever You choose. Put me to doing; put me to suffering. Let me be employed for You or laid aside for You. Give me many tasks, or have me step aside while you call others. Let me be full; let me be empty. Let me have all things; let me have nothing. I freely give all that I am and all that I have to you.

You are loved!
Dave McKellips

No comments: